Wednesday, December 15

DISCOVERY!

So... this blog is my new FAVORITE!

www.stuffchristianslike.net

Specifically the post that got me hooked was a post about what the author calls 'Jesus Jukes.'

"Like a football player juking you at the last second and going a different direction, the Jesus Juke is when someone takes what is clearly a joke filled conversation and completely reverses direction into something serious and holy."

I HATE when people do that to me... and apparently this guy does too. Ok, so I write Xmas on my Facebook status... don't need a sermon. I still love Jesus. Ohhh, you noticed that I posted a tweet at 11am on a Sunday. No need to admonish me for skipping church (especially since we have Saturday services). Here's Jon Acuff's reasoning on why the Jesus Juke isn't cool.

"Chances are you’ve experienced this. Someone pulled the Christian version of the Debbie Downer, they threw out a bit of Jesus Juke on you. If you have, or even if you haven’t, there are three things we all need to know about this particular move.

1. It generates shame.
The Jesus Juke is a great way to tell a friend, “I wish you possessed the uber holiness I do and were instead talking about sweet baby Jesus in this conversation.” It’s like a tiny little “shame grenade,” you throw it into an otherwise harmless conversation and then watch it splatter everyone in guilt and condemnation.

2. It never leads to good conversation.
I’ve been Jesus Juked dozens of times in my life and I’ve never once seen it lead to a productive, healthy conversation. You might think it will before you juke, but what usually happens is just raw amounts of awkwardness, similar to how I felt sitting in a theater watching the Last Airbender.

3. I’ve never met someone who was “juked to Jesus.”
I once tweeted, “No one’s ever said: ‘The way you bitterly mock other Christians helped me begin a life-changing love of Jesus’ (Be kind).” I wrote that because I wanted to remind us that our jerkiness never led folks to Christ. I don’t think our jukes do either. I don’t really see it as a conversion technique. It’s more of a conversation killer technique.

I hope we all keep talking about Jesus. I hope we talk about him lots and lots. I hope he defines our life and conversations. But if I tell you that when it comes to My Little Pony, I tend to prefer Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie and that Toola Roola has been riding their coattails for years, please don’t respond, 'You know who created ponies? Our Lord God did, that’s who.'"



Just something that I found interesting and HAD to share. Check out www.stuffchristianslike.net 'cause its GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment