Monday, December 6

Holiday etiquette.

I was reading one of my FAVORITE blogs today, Ragamuffin Soul which is written by Carlos Whittaker. I came across this very talented fellow when he was a 'guest' worship leader at Elevation Blakney a few weeks ago. Today he posted a list of reasons its ok to say 'Merry Xmas' during the holiday season. I've always thought that it was a dumb thing for Christians to get mad about, especially in relation to some other stuff that goes on in the world. So, without further ado, here is why you can say 'xmas' without offending anyone or hear it without taking offense.

1. I love baby Jesus too but he didn’t name Christmas…Christmas. We did.
2. If this offends you then I suggest you change your greeting to “May you have the most joyous season of celebrating the birth of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”. It is less confusing that Merry Christmas.
3. I find it more insulting that people get mad at Bart Millard for saying Xmas and have no idea that the pagan origins of their gift exchanges started in ancient Babylon when the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.
4. I’m thinking we should celebrate Christmas when it actually happened. More or less around September.
The shepherds were not tending their sheep in the middle of a Judean winter. I promise.
5. I’m not taking Christ out of Christmas when I say Xmas… I am giving more attention to the word “mas” which in the true language of God means “more”
6. I love Jesus. If you are concerned with people seeing a Christian take “Christ” out of the word “Christmas” let’s just say it Merry Jesusmas so that everybody will get it.
7. On twitter it is a much better way of saving your character count.
8. Let’s face it. Jesus is the X Factor! What A Better Way To Say It!!!
9. I hate lists of 10 so I’m gonna stop at 9…Or really 8.



If you want to read more from LosWhit (and you totally should) check out Ragamuffin Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment