Wednesday, January 19

clarification.

Someone told me the other day that they liked my blog... except for one thing.

Apparently to some my blog's title (The Antisocialite) comes across as EMO. [Please note that this made me laugh.] I'm not at all emo. (I may be a TAD bit of a hipster, but that's a totally different conversation.) I thought the name of my blog was a pretty clever play on words, but apparently not everyone gets it. So, I will briefly explain.

According to the dictionary on my macbook a socialite is:

so·cial·ite (ssh-lt)
n.
One prominent in fashionable society.


So, basically a socialite is someone who makes a point to fit in, be fashionable, and be liked be the world. So, it would follow that an ANTI socialite would be a person who defies fashion and trendiness passively, by just being an individual... the polar opposite of a socialite. This is not to be confused with an antisocial. An antisocialite wouldn't not shun socializing, but rather avoid using it as a lifestyle (as socialites do). Also don't confuse with a nonconformist, who purposely does the opposite of anything they deem to be "in" at a given time as a way to get attention.

So, why is this important?

If you ask me, Jesus was the ULTIMATE antisocialite. He hung out with thieves, prostitutes, lepers, and anyone else who wasn't in the best social circle of the time... and I want to be JUST like him. I'm fairly certain that nowadays if Jesus was walking around with us, he wouldn't be hanging out with Paris Hilton, Jay Z, or whoever is popular at the moment. Heck, he probably wouldn't be hanging out with me either. He was about defying societal norms, and I want to be about that too. I'm doing my best not to fall into the pattern of this world (like Romans 12:2 advises... see below). So, thats where my blog got its title... Now you know.


"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment