Wednesday, October 13

stilettos? chucks?

stereotype |ˈsterēəˌtīp; ˈsti(ə)r-|
noun
1 a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing

For some reason I've been thinking a lot about stereotypes over the last few days... I've always considered myself to be quite open minded, but I have to say that I've come to see that I stereotype people just as much as the next guy (or girl in my case...) and this is bothersome.

What got me started on this train of thought? Why, thanks for asking... I'll enlighten you.

A little more than a year ago, my roommate, April, introduced me to her friend Rachel. They hung out a lot and included me in a few activities. At the time I didn't have a problem with Rachel, but I automatically assumed that she didn't like me. She didn't give me any reason to feel that way. I just assumed. I liked her a lot. In fact I thought she was AWESOME, but I just figured she wasn't thinking the same thing about me. Why? welll....

Rachel has impeccable taste. In the year and some change I've known her, I've never seen her without perfect hair, a dress, and adorable high heels. She's most definitely a girly girl, and a perfect example of that southern sorority girl type... and she pulls it off perfectly.

And if you know me you know that all that stuff is nowhere NEAR my style. While Rach and April can pull off a pair of high heels like a pro, I'm more at home in my pink chuck taylor's that I've been wearing for about 10 years. Anyway, sometimes I assume that because I stick to american apparel t shirts and converse sneakers instead of the dresses and heels (outside special occasions of course) that people with different tastes didn't care for me too much. Nobody's really given me any indication that because I listen to indie music or have a hoop in my nose or whatever else that they don't like me. I just assume some people think I'm a hipster snob. And in the back of my mind I always think that people wonder what the heck I'm doing hanging out with these girls, or better yet what THEY are doing letting me tag along...

Well, long story short, over the last few months a series of events (mostly involving boyfriends or lack there of) have given April, Rachel, and me lots of time to hang out... and now one person who I assumed wouldn't like me has become a regular part of my life... and I couldn't be happier about that...

So, that's just a lesson I've learned over the last little bit... give people a chance. Just thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment